December 16, 2018

Memoirs: How I Did 12 Destinations in 12 Months Using My Annual Leave

Disclaimer:

I started off with 27 days annual leave at the beginning of 2018 and I also try and not take random days off to do errands. I usually do them before or after work or on weekends. The days I didn’t use for travel were either for a wedding, a hangover or something personal development related (or a mental health day). Other than that, it’s all worth the jetlag. And of course, I can only speak for someone with a 9-5 BUT if even if you don’t, my tips below may help you make travel part of your life.

*Bank Holidays don’t count as I automatically get these off.

Destinations:

1&2. Venice and Verona = 2 days leave

3&4. Cannes and Monaco = 0 days (Bank Holiday)

5. Amsterdam = 1.5 days leave (Backed on to a Bank Holiday)

6. Dubai = 4 days leave(Backed on to a bank holiday)

7. Hamburg = 1 day leave (Backed on to a bank holiday)

8. Toulouse = 0 days leave (One day trip on a weekend)

9. Edinburgh = 0 days leave (Weekend trip)

10&11. Hong Kong and Macau = 7 days leave

12. Copenhagen = 0 days leave (One day trip on a weekend)

= 15.5 days annual leave used in total.

Some UK travel too…

Bedfordshire = 1 night (On a weekend)

Leeds = 1 day (On a weekend)

Brighton = 2 nights (Took a half day off to beat the crowds)

Kent = 1 night (on a weekend)

Get creative

When it comes to having a full-time life and wanting to travel, you have to get creative with it.  I’ve written a fair few times about how to make the most of your annual leave so here are my tips in a nutshell:

I also decided to celebrate my personal achievement with a bakerdays cake. I went for the Victoria sponge and wasn’t disappointed but of course I had to share.

You can check out the full range of letterbox cakes here.

I live by the motto of ‘If its not booked, its not happening’. Would you ever set yourself a travel challenge?

Char xo

21 responses to “Memoirs: How I Did 12 Destinations in 12 Months Using My Annual Leave”

1. Jenna says:

Love this!!!
    I am inspired boyyyyy!

2. Great read and you echo our approach and attitude. We managed to get away to Ireland, Memphis, Cincinnati, Barcelona, Australia, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Bahamas and Florida this year and still have a day’s leave up the sleeves 🙂

3. Kirstin says:

I really really wanted to do this challenge this year but it honestly got away from me again!
    Maybe for 2019!
    I really enjoyed this breakdown though, it was useful to know!

Kirstin

4. Chloe says:

This is AMAZING! Such a clever plan! Since living in Prague for a semester, I have no become way more open and obsessed with travelling!!

5. Great post and well done for utilising your leave so effectively! I also get all bank holidays off and 25 days annual leave eah year. The problem for me with travel is money, I really wish I earned more as that’s what holds me back – lottery win please! 😂😂

6. Angell says:

So jealous!! I need to make it a bigger priority to travel more in 2019!

7. Shohinee Deb says:

These are excellent tips! It gets so difficult to manage time to travel and see new places. And over time we just shift travel to the bottom of our priority list.

8. Ashley Firth says:

I love this post! I’m always trying to squeeze in some extra travel time! You have inspired me for 2019! 🙂

9. Jayne says:

Where there’s a will there’s a way! Great stuff, no excuses to get out there. Love it!

10. Rioch says:

Great to see your travels. Props to you and for your innovation plus key tips! Onwards & upwards! xx

11. Rioch says:

Really enjoyed reading this Charlotte! ❤️Love your practical tips too. x

12. Jennifer says:

Thanks Char, really useful and imaginative, I always thought how the hell do you do it, now I know… really inspiring, let’s hope we all can share our travel memories also with you… a.j.

13. Johnny says:

100% agree with making use of weekends and bank holidays! It’s an efficient way of traveling and demolishes the myth of not being able to travel cos of a full-time job. Really good write-up Char 🙂 Also loving the new look blog by the way – and the cake too 👊🏾

Johnny | Johnny’s Traventures

14. Grace says:

Omggggggosh! You must be the twin that disappeared at Birth … You would fit in so great with my family 😆🙋🏼 very inspirational, happy I came across your blog

15. Anneka says:

This is so inspiring! I also work 9-5 and have really struggled to fit in trips. Definitely going to take your advice on board for 2019. Thanks for sharing. 💚✌️

– Anneka

16. chloe says:

This is such a savvy way to travel without using too much holiday. If I didn’t work weekends as well as week days I would so do this!

17. Pat says:

After reading this im going to set myself a travel challenge. What kind of challenge you might ask?…im not sure yet. Loved the fact you worked it all within your A/L days .
    This is awesome. Thanks for sharing

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

A Little Bit About Me

Welcome to my little space on the internet, known as Memoirs and Musings. I’m Char, short for Charlotte and my blog/website/diary is dedicated to documenting my Memoirs and Musings, hence the name. I wouldn’t say I was your ‘typical’ blogger either. I don’t care about getting the perfect flatlay or feeling bad for not posting, I just enjoy writing. If you’ve made it this far, thank you for reading. Anyway, I love to travel, indulge in a glass of white wine, when plans are cancelled and purchase overpriced make up.  I guess that’s me in a nutshell, trying to figure out this thing called life, have fun and never lose sight.