December 21, 2018

Musings: Ways To Change Up Your Instagram in 2019

Please note, this is a collaborative post.

If you look at my Instagram you’ll probably wonder to yourself ‘what the hell is going on?’. I do too. I once tried to stick to a theme and you know what I hated it. My Instagram is an extension of me and so is this blog. Does it have a theme? No. Does my life have a theme? No. However if I cared ‘enough’ about the ‘Gram I would be shaking it up with a few of these…

Pick a colour any colour

Focus on a few colours or moods that you enjoy using. Or why not take inspo from next years Pantone colour? Someone who does this incredibly well is beauty guru Amrezy who goes through series of colours mixing beauty, travel, lifestyle and outfits.

Pick a season any season

Do you want your feed to be eternally summer? Why not. Sometimes we all have trouble accepting seasons change so why not keep the sunshine online?

Pick an object any object

Obsessed with shoes, cars or maybe plants? Why not mix up your content and infuse close up shots of things you find interesting. I frequently post shots of my nails as a way to still keep some beauty content on my feed.

Counting down the minutes until lunch

Counting down the minutes until lunch

Interviews

Go outside your niche or stay in your niche, find someone, follow them for a a day and make a 60 second documentary. You could be the next Louis Theroux…

Moments

Not everything needs to be poised and editorial. Some of the best moments are completely candid, whether you’re taking the photo or the subject.

Cities

Perhaps you live in popular locations like London or Paris or somewhere that isn’t well documented. Why not show the world your hometown or your new digs using a combination of the tips above.

Read more:

Things You Might Be Tired of Seeing on Instagram

Instagram vs. Travel

Char xo

Please note, this is a collaborative post.

26 responses to “Musings: Ways To Change Up Your Instagram in 2019 ”

1. Kat says:

Love this!! I am really bad at keeping my instagram to a theme. I like the idea of showing people my hometown, so I’m going to make a special effort to go and take photos of my city these holidays.

2. Kayla says:

These are some great ways to keep an instagram theme, but I have to admit I have the same mindset as you! My life doesn’t have a theme, so why should my Insta or blog??? 😂

I have to admit, I would love to have the time and motivation to have every. single. post on my insta to have the same theme but I just don’t. That’s not me!

Kayla ♥︎ http://www.kaylajayne.co.uk
    xo

3. Jasmine says:

I’ve planned my Instagram content in advance this month (for the first time ever) because I’ve decided to stick to a colour theme, and honestly just seeing them in my content planning app has made all of the difference!

Jas xx | https://thoughtsfromjasmine.co.uk

4. Katie Thayer says:

I love “does my life have a theme? No!” It’s so true and so tricky that IG basically forces it! I am really shaking up my blog this year and I think the message is what I’m focusing on to make it more constant.

5. I’m terrible at keeping to an Instagram theme that for my personal I tend to just go with what I like but I recently started a new Instagram and will definitely follow your advice! Fingers cross I can make a theme last now! Thank you

6. Michelle Blackadar says:

love this! i started to get really into instagram last year and i felt like i was failing at it because i didn’t have a consistent theme, i posted what i liked. the colors in my posts do seem to go together kind of well but that’s just because i enjoy neutral color schemes. not because i’m trying to have a theme. regardless of how you have your instagram, it’s all meant to be a creative outlet so i say everyone posts what they feel expresses them best. xx

mich / simplymich.com

7. Aaliyah says:

These are really great tips, I’ve been wanting to change up my Instagram for a while now, really like the idea of sticking to one colour palette. Great post x

8. Alice Rose says:

Great read! Love the ideas ♡

9. Great post and great ideas – thanks!

10. Kimberley says:

Love this – my feed doesn’t have a theme or a colour or anything but I like the tips about moments and close ups, something’s I’ll definitely looking doing more of 😊

11. Katie says:

I often think about keeping a theme but it’s been a solid year without one- just bright colors and sass, really. Is that enough of a theme?

12. One of my goals for 2019 is definitely to up my instagram game so this post has definitely been useful!

Bukola Veronica,

13. Interviews is something i’ve been wanting to do for a while. I’ve decided to actually make a point of writing down specific goals this year to help me reach them! 🌿

14. I love your concept and the great ideas you shared! 🙌🏽 Keep up the amazing work! 😄